- 1 can (14.75 oz.) or 2 cans (7.5 oz. each) Alaskan Smoked Salmon
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon flour
- 3 cups skim milk
- 2 cups (8 oz.) frozen hash brown potatoes with peppers and onions (O’Brien style)
- 1 can (8 oz.) drained or 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme or dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon pepper or pepper blend seasoning
- 1/4 cup bacon bits, divided
- 2 Tablespoons sherry, if desired
Prepare the salmon
Drain the salmon, reserving liquid; discard skin and bones (if any). Break salmon into chunks and set aside.
Cook the onions
Melt butter in a 2-quart saucepan over medium heat. Add onions; cook and stir 5 minutes.
Thicken chowder and simmer
Add flour; cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Add milk and salmon liquid, bring to a low boil. Stir in potatoes, corn, seasonings, and 2 tablespoons bacon bits. Return to simmer, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in salmon and sherry, if desired; heat through.
Serve and garnish
Ladle chowder into bowls and sprinkle with remaining bacon bits.
Add Cajun or southwest seasoning and red pepper flakes to taste.
Recipe courtesy of Alaska Seafood